Monday, February 11, 2013

Training overload!!


This morning I meet with my Trainer for some blood work to see were I am health wise. My appointment was bright and early at 6:00 am.  He pricked my finger, took some blood, and got the test going.  After about 5 minutes, my test was complete. He went over everything with me and everything looked great. My Glucose (blood sugar) was a little high but I told him what I ate yesterday and he said he is sure that's way my Glucose was a little high, but nothing to worry about. I told him how my week was and how I ate soooooo BAD and how tired and in funk I was all week. He knew exactly why I was doing this. He said I am in "Training overload". I am working out at high intensity way too much and need to stop. He said especially with my Marathon training. He told me that I need to stop any boot camp, Turbo fire, fitness classes etc and focus on running. He also said that in my weight training I need to up my weights super heavy and super low reps. Only about 3 sets of 4 reps and that is it! I've been running, 3 sets of 12 reps with my weight training PLUS I like to do Turbo fire. He said that all needs to stop NOW!! He said that if I continue with this high intensity workouts, that I will burn myself out (which I for sure did last week) and it can also lead to injuries. I told him that for one I love to work out, but I also am trying to get very fit and want to see results fast. He laughed a little and said that you need to focus more on long term goal because if I continue, I will burn myself out and stop, and if I slow down, I will actually see better results. He said that I would actually be leaner, which that is my goal.
I am so glad I meet with him this morning because I would have had no clue and kept doing what I have been doing.  After I am done with my Marathon, I can start doing my high intensity classes again but for now I have to stop.
He also told me that I do not eat enough fat in my diet. Not bad fats, the good fats. Said I should cook with Organic butter or coconut oil. Also said I should use coconut milk for my protein shakes. He wants me to use the coconut milk that is in a can that you cook with!! But to be careful I don't drink too much because I will see weight gain, maybe just 1 of those a day.
Over all, I am very healthy. Blood pressure and heart rate is perfect and were it should be with me being a runner. I am so happy that I had this done and for all the great info he gave me. I am going to do all that he said and see how my week goes.
Oh yes, I am still up the 3 pounds I gained (I lost it then it came back) and I also wore a heavy sweatshirt and sweats this morning. I have no idea I was being weighed, so with all of that, my weight was 5 pounds heavier and my body fat said 23%. I'm thinking it might be more at 20-21% if I got back down to the 135.5 I was at 2 weeks ago and if I was in my workout clothes not my big old sweats. I really don't have a body fat goal but I do want to get it down and be very lean.
I'm excited to be on track again:) I have a very busy week besides my workouts so I really hope I have some good energy to get me through my week:)
My goal this week: Get the 3 pounds off that I gained, slow down my workouts and up my weights, and be in bed no later then 10:00. I was going to be way to late last week.
Hope you all have a great week. LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post!! Good to know about the weights. I always thought is was 3 sets of 12 if you wanted to build muscle and lean out. I thought the fewer reps with heavier weights meant "bulking up". You should go more by your body fat than your weight. I'm at a point where that is really the ONLY way I can measure progress. My weight won't budge by more than a couple pounds no matter what I do. However, I don't know when the last time was that I weighed what I weigh now so I'm okay with the weight, I'm just not okay with my body fat. My goal is 18% Last time I checked (new years day) I was 22%. We will KILL it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everything as far as weights go is a little different since I am training for a full Marathon? I need to make sure I build up my muscle to make sure I can run 26.2 miles and to run it strong. This may be my one and only full Marathon and I have worked soooooo hard and really want to do well. I really want to finish in 4 hours but that really depends on the course as well.
    My trainer was a track and field coach as well as a runner and is now in training because he is working towards being in the 2018 Olympics as a Bobsledder. (Pretty cool huh?:)
    Good luck to you!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some coconut oil. The benefits are amazing! I haven't used vegetable oils of any sort for so long now. Seriously, try replacing anything that calls for vegetable oil with coconut oil. Cooking with it is the best!

    ReplyDelete